The Dies Irae theme is quoted varied in 3 main ways.
- Bars 5 and 6 with an upbeat: transposed up a minor third and varied by changing the first note.
- Bars 54 and 55 the first four notes of the Dies Irae theme is transposed up a fourth while the key remains the same (in f minor)
- The DI theme is hinted in the accompaniment with the repeated use of A flat, G, A flat.
The Dies Irae theme is quoted by piano or voice.
- The slightly varied Dies Irae theme is sang by the voice and accompanied by the “hinted” version of the Dies Irae theme.
- The tonal transposition of Dies Irae theme is sung by the voice as well as played by the piano in a homophony.
The Dies Irae theme is harmonized in 2 main ways.
- The ostinato in the accompaniment introduces the Dies Irae theme with mostly consonance.
- The tonal transposition of Dies Irae theme is harmonized with chromaticism.
The Dies Irae theme is varied in 2 different ways.
- The rhythm of the Dies Irae theme is slightly varied with a quaver followed by a crochet.
- The rhythm of the transposition of Dies Irae theme is varied with consistent use of dotted crotchets, which also changes the tempo of the piece.
The Dies Irae theme mainly occurs in 2 different parts of a ballad.
- The Dies Irae theme occurs as the theme of opening.
- The Dies Irae theme occurs as the climax of the ballad.