The Dies Irae theme is quoted and varied in 3 main ways.
- Bars 1 and 21: transposed down a minor second and the intervals adapted and the key was changed to C minor.
- Bars 21 to 31: starting on the second beat, transposed up two octaves while the key remains the same (in C minor)
- Dies Irae theme delivered complete and the key stays the same.
The Dies Irae theme is quoted and varied by instrumentation and texture.
- Dies Irae theme is played by the bassoons and tuba in unison and in octaves accompanied by the bells.
- Dies Irae theme is played by the horns and trombones.
- Dies Irae theme shared between various instruments (woodwinds and strings) of the orchestra in a homophonic texture with accompaniment by the bassoons, tuba, bells, cellos, basses, and bass drums.
The Dies Irae theme is harmonized in various ways.
- The Dies Irae theme is accompanied by octaves in C minor in the bells
- The Dies Irae theme in the melody is accompanied by octaves in the cellos and basses.
The rhythm of the Dies Irae theme is varied in 3 different ways.
- The rhythm of the Dies Irae theme is evenly played in dotted minims.
- The Dies Irae theme is repeated with shortened note values (in dotted crotchets).
- The rhythm of the Dies Irae theme is played in a quirky 6/8 rhythm.
The Dies Irae is shown in 3 variations and occurs as a basis of the dance in the 5th movement.
- The Dies Irae theme occurs as the theme of the opening and occurs several times throughout the section.